Tuesday, October 1, 2019

"Amarillo Flights" Traveling Fine Art Photography Exhibition with a Historical Angle

Selecting a paper for the Amarillo Flights traveling exhibition

       With the Amarillo Flights: Aerial Views of Llano Estacado Country (working title) book manuscript now reviewed and approved by Texas A&M University Press, I now turn my attention to the traveling exhibition. While selecting images to print large for the touring show, my current delightful task is to select a fine art paper for the photographs. 
        My appreciation for quality paper has its roots in experience in printmaking such as etching/intaglio, stone lithography, and traditional photography  darkroom techniques. My search led me to a great paper company in Dallas, Texas called Red River Paper.

Testing fine art papers from Red River Paper!

        After narrowing down my paper choices, I reduced the candidates down to two: Palo Duro Baryata 300 and Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag 310 both from Red River Paper. We did test prints on both papers. The Baryata 300 has a classic feel, while the SoftGoss Rag 310 has a more contemporary look that is well-suited to my finely detailed fine art aerial photographs. I opted for the SoftGloss Rag yet wanted to see a full-size print before finalizing my decision.

First full-size print for the Amarillo Flights traveling exhibition

        Next, it was time for a full-size print on Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag Paper, and I was blown away! This will be the paper that I use for the Amarillo Flights: Aerial Views of Llano Estacado Country traveling exhibition.
         If you are a museum or gallery interesting in hosting the exhibit, please call me directly at 972-898-6969 or email me at paulchaplo@gmail.com An exhibition prospectus is now printed, and the exhibition is now available for booking!


No comments: